Title: Data Scientist
Division: Data Science, Research Methods, Nielsen
Location: United States: Tampa, FL (preferred), Chicago, IL, Columbia, MD, New York, NY
Nielsen is a global measurement and data analytics company that provides the most complete and trusted view available of consumers and markets worldwide. Nielsen has unique measurement technologies, assets, and data that make it one of the most interesting and challenging places for a data scientist to work.
Data Science is core to what Nielsen does, and our research projects have high visibility in directly impacting the results of our business and our clients. This position is in the Panel and Measurement Strategy team within Nielsen’s Data Science organization. The Panel and Measurement Strategy team The Panel and Measurement Strategy team leads the approach and research for our current and future panel and audience measurement strategy. Our team provides leadership and expertise across Nielsen to develop innovative, statistically sound, and cost effective audience measurement methodologies in support of the strategic business initiatives.
- Support the design and testing of data collection methodologies for Nielsen media panels including measurement of digital, TV and radio.
- Apply best practices of research methodology to Nielsen products.
- Identify and implement methods and best practices to improve respondent cooperation and retention.
- Provide support for technical guidance and training of Nielsen operational teams
- Design and conduct qualitative research studies and user experience research to develop and evaluate web/mobile applications and other electronic materials.
- Develop and implement overall panel communications strategy and methods
- Use both qualitative and quantitative methods for research and analysis..
- Correspond and communicate with internal departments and external suppliers regarding complex project requirements and schedules.
- Utilize attention to detail when proofreading, translating, coordinating, or designing survey materials.
- Develop project plans with clear work breakdown structure and detailed timeline for efficient project planning.
- Author technical proposals, reports, and papers. Present research to internal stakeholders and at research conferences.
- Balance cost, quality, and schedule requirements to design measurement methods and approaches.
- Learn and become an expert in Nielsen Panels knowledge, with a focus on research methods and panelist experience.
- Perform UAT & general testing on websites and apps
- Write literature reviews for business needs
- Bachelor’s degree in Behavioral/Social Sciences field such as Survey Methodology, Statistics/Sampling, Psychology, Sociology or a related field with 1-2 years experience or Masters degree.
- Knowledge of panel research methods, including sampling, recruitment and maintenance.
- Knowledge of multiple modes of data collection methods, including in-person, phone and online/mobile, and mixed-mode measurement approaches.
- Ability to design sound methodologies within cost and operational constraints.
- Understanding of measurement error in data collection methods with ability to mitigate using cost effective procedures.
- Creative aptitude and ability and desire to explore opportunities for new research innovations.
- High motivation with demonstrated capacity to work on multiple deliverables and projects with set deadlines, under pressure.
- Collaborative team player with willingness and desire to work with global cross-functional teams of varying sizes.
- Qualitative research and analysis skills (including cognitive interviews, in-depth interviews, focus groups, etc.).
- Quantitative research and analysis skills including competence with statistical software (R or Python preferred).
- Experience with Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required for presenting to and collaborating with groups of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent clear and concise communications skills and have proactive communication with internal/external teams including presentation skills for business setting and technical report writing
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to effectively influence, negotiate and communicate within and across various levels in the organization
- Able to work independently
- Extremely strong organizational skills
- Experience with large-scale, complex multi-stage panel methodologies, including panel recruitment and maintenance.
- Experience with wearable and mobile app technologies.
- Knowledge of usability research techniques for evaluating web/mobile applications and other electronic materials.
- Proficiency in non-English languages and understanding of multiple cultures.
- Knowledge of advanced cognitive or behavioral methodologies.
- Operational and technical knowledge of Panel systems, data, processes and reports
- Proficiency in Graphics packages including Adobe InDesign
- Strong creative/visual design skills
- Ability to write and design creatives for various digital mediums such as email, web, social, app, creatives, etc.