IN A NUTSHELL
At Round Feather, we believe that ground-breaking innovation always begins with an empathetic understanding of people’s unarticulated needs, aspirations and behaviors. As we expand our footprint, we are in search of a Design Research Lead to join us at our San Diego office. We are looking for individuals who share our passion and curiosity for understanding people and how they interact with branded products and services. You will lead a young, nimble and diverse team that brings in different perspectives from around the world. Each project will take you all the way from insights to tangible expressions, where you will learn to work with our unique framework – our distinct set of tools and methodologies – using which we have reimagined and empowered some of the biggest global brands to strategize and execute for unprecedented customer experiences.
On paper, the ideal candidate has prior working experience in research, design or social science. In reality though, our people typically wear numerous hats. We’re open to candidates with diverging skillsets – anthropologists, designers, journalists, psychologists, musicians… – who share our one common obsession: curiosity to uncover & fulfill the unarticulated needs of people. Feel free to give us a shout and surprise us with your story!
BEING A DESIGN RESEARCH LEAD AT ROUND FEATHER
As Design Research Lead, you will work closely with our dynamic, entrepreneurial and fun research teams from around the world, collaborating with and inspiring each other through every aspect of the research and ideation process. As an individual, you are strongly driven to push past traditional research & design methods, contributing new ideas and picking up new tricks along the way. With a keen eye for uncovering deep insights about people and a business mindset to approach and resolve challenges, you will work with Fortune 1000 clients to go beyond the uncovered insights by designing tangible solutions that have meaningful impact. You thrive in a dynamic, constantly shifting environment, unafraid to roll up your sleeves with your can-do spirit.
So what do we do at Round Feather? We are a strategic design consultancy that inspires clients to radically transform their product and service experiences by placing unarticulated customer needs as the focal point of innovation. Our projects typically start with an in-depth, emotion-driven qualitative research framework to identify the pain points and bliss points a user experiences through the end to end customer journey. Using proprietary tools and methodologies, we uncover and translate these deeper unarticulated needs and behavioral mindsets into meaningful solutions that reimagine the user’s experience while unlocking new business potential for our clients.
We’re looking forward to having our newest feather join us!
Check out www.roundfeather.com for more details on our proprietary framework called Design for Happiness.
YOUR ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Preparing, conducting and participating in a diverse array of research approaches and opportunities, including both primary (ex. field interviews) and secondary research
- Leading global teams of researchers, industrial designers, business leaders and subject-matter experts in a fast-paced environment
- Communicating with, presenting to and co-creating with clients
- Participating and leading brainstorming, concept development and strategy sessions
- Reviewing primary research and analyzing and synthesizing insights for clients
- Mixed-media documentation of user interviews and other field research
- Developing visual and written content for reports and presentations
- Preparing illustrated emotive journey maps and other visual artefacts (using Adobe Illustrator)
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- 3-4 years’ professional work experience at a design consultancy, research agency or other similar organization
- College graduate; Master’s degree preferred
- Proficiency with design thinking and human centered design approach
- Experience leading teams in preparing, planning, conducting, and/or analyzing primary and secondary research for product development or a related creative field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated interest in research and design, and a passion for learning about people
- Experience in utilizing the Internet to conduct research
- Experience conducting user interviews
- Must be inquisitive and flexible – able to ask appropriate questions adjust easily to shifting plans and changes in programs
- Must be responsible, punctual, and able to meet tight deadlines
- Comfortable working directly and remotely with other team members
- Must be a creative thinker, and a quick learner who is able to take direction while also being a proactive team member
- Must enjoy and be able to travel, especially on short notice
- Proficient using Mac and PC
- Intermediate understanding of PowerPoint and Office required
- Required experience with Illustrator and video editing
- Experience with InDesign, Photoshop and other graphic design programs desired
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Prior leadership role in design-research, design consulting, strategy consulting or similar roles is favorable
- Any hidden superpowers that you will bring with you