Milwaukee Tool is an industry-leading manufacturer of heavy-duty power tools, accessories and hand tools for professional users worldwide. The Design Research team at Milwaukee Tool sits within a collaborative user-centered design and technology development group focused on the fuzzy front end of product development. We are tasked with informing the entrepreneurial spirit of the company through our strategic and functional findings. In this role you will be leading the research efforts of highly collaborative and diverse teams of Engineers, Industrial Designers, and Product Managers to inspire and influence key decision makers on new solutions for the construction industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and execute multi-faceted research plans to learn about all aspects of the construction trade. This typically includes discovery research on jobsites, primary and secondary research to understand the competitive product set, and in-field evaluation of mock-ups and preliminary concept prototypes.
- Analyze and synthesize research findings into key insights that inform opportunities for new feature sets, functionalities, and business approaches.
- Plan and facilitate hands-on tool evaluations, team workshops, and analysis sessions to familiarize your team with a tool and its use, and inspire creativity and collaboration.
- Present research findings in an engaging and concise manner to key stakeholders across the business. You will need to communicate through well-crafted presentations and events that educate and inspire your team through photos, video, diagrams, storytelling and demonstrations.
- You are comfortable approaching potential research participants (e.g., on a construction site) to introduce yourself and engage in observation and open-ended lines of questioning
- You are curious about your research topic as well as the company, your co-workers, and your process
- You are ready to jump in with both feet to try new methods and learn from your mistakes
- You are comfortable working in the ambiguous “fuzzy front end”
- You are flexible to change research plans on the fly if you run across something you weren’t expecting
- You have strong communication skills and can get your ideas across to engineers, industrial designers, and marketers alike
- You link everything back to our core end user’s activities and needs to provide insight for developing breakthrough products
- You are a team player, focused on bringing the team along on the journey
- You have passion for the importance of user insights in the product development process and are ready to champion those insights
- You make non-obvious connections and revel in talking about ideas
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office, with some experience with editing video and 2D software (ex: QuickTime, Adobe Creative Suite)
Education and Experience Requirements
- Master’s degree plus a minimum of one years’ experience (including internships) in Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Business, or Engineering; or Bachelor’s degree in the same fields plus three years’ experience
- Experience in product development with an understanding of innovation / design thinking and using qualitative research methods including observation, interviewing, and contextual inquiry
- 25-40% overnight domestic travel
- Upon an interview, must be prepared to present on a project and its methodology
Milwaukee Tool is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.