Start Something Bold is a Front End Innovation firm based in Cincinnati, Ohio. We help clients grow their product portfolio, expand into new and adjacent markets, create value added services, and pursue IoT and technology solutions.
We’re passionate about helping our clients deliver the right products to market. By understanding user needs and building empathy for our clients’ customers, we gain new insights and form strategies for growth. As design thinkers, we know how to quickly translate research learnings into strategic directions that set our client’s products apart from the competition. As a boutique firm, we move fast to provide recommendations needed to make quick and well-informed business decisions.
Start Something Bold has a collaborative, autonomous, and entrepreneurial culture. Our team is built of researchers, designers, and biomedical engineers with experience helping customers navigate innovation.
We’re looking for someone who is a great listener, loves to connect with people, has an insatiable curiosity and enjoys going through data. This design researcher will execute research plans, synthesize insights, and create assets to communicate findings to our clients.
Client Work (90% of time)
- Write clear discussion guides
- Conduct research:
- Moderate in depth one-on-one interviews
- Observational in environment
- Identify unmet user needs and desired outcomes
- Translate research data into simple and actionable insights
- Communicate research findings into stories that are easy to understand
- Build presentations that clearly articulate the comprehensive research findings
- Collaborate with team members to deliver the highest quality of work
General (10% of time)
- Contribute to the improvement of Start Something Bold’s solutions and operations
Key Background Requirements
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years research experience that includes:
- Moderating qualitative in-depth interviews
- Conducting observational research in healthcare environments
- Identifying user needs and desired outcome statements from research
- Synthesizing research learnings into actionable next steps
- Researching in the healthcare field and medical device market
- Using Stanford’s Biodesign, Jobs-To-Be-Done or design thinking methodologies
- Presenting research findings to all levels of the organization, including CEO’s, Presidents, and C-suite executives.
The successful candidate should have these key personal traits:
- A strong character that builds trust of our brand in the community and with clients
- Acts decisively to tackle difficult problems and preservers in the face of challenges
- Communicate with confidence and steadiness in the face of uncertainty, and adapts quickly to new situations
- Reflects on and learns from experiences, understands personal strengths and weaknesses and how to work well with others around them
- Must be a self motivated and hard worker, able to function largely on their own with minimal day-to-day direction
- Asks good questions, and is able to communicate/connect with a wide variety of people
The candidate may have a degree in one of these fields:
- Industrial Design
- Design Communication
- Biomedical Engineering
- Market Research
Work Conditions and Travel
Research is currently being done through video conferencing tools. Once travel restrictions are lifted, projects may require domestic and international travel to conduct research. The travel frequency and duration varies based upon project requirements.