Opentrons makes robots for biologists. Currently, over 90% of biologists in the world run experiments with manual pipettes, moving tiny amounts of liquid from vial to vial by hand. By making robotics affordable and open, we enable life-scientists to automate and share experiments that would otherwise be done by hand so they can spend less time pipetting and more time pursuing answers to the 21st century’s most important questions. Opentrons’ robotics are in use in over 40 countries around the world and have been adopted by top-tier institutions like Stanford, Harvard, Merck, and Roche. At this time our open source robots are enabling labs across the world scale up COVID-19 testing at a fraction of the cost of other available platforms.
About the Role:
To make our robots truly accessible to scientists everywhere, it’s not enough that they are affordable: they have to be simple and intuitive to use. As Lead UX at Opentrons, you are responsible for exploring, strategizing and unifying the user experience of the Opentrons software platform.
You’ll own projects from start to finish, while leading various UX initiatives including running design sprints to define and explore user problems, experience mapping, sketching, wireframing, low and high fidelity prototyping, and leading stakeholder reviews. You’ll partner and collaborate with various departments to help our team develop empathy for our users and advocate for their needs. You will design cross-product, cross-platform foundational features that translate complex scientific workflow into simple user experiences, seeding and delivering intuitive solutions for accessible lab robotics.
- Initiate and conduct user research projects to guide exploration, design, development, and measurement of cross-product user experiences.
- Collaborate closely with engineering, science and product leads to help identify key priorities and opportunities based on qualitative and quantitative user insights.
- Apply user-centered design methodologies to ensure requirements, features and designs are grounded in proven customer needs.
- Translate and prioritize discovered needs into clear user stories and user flows which demonstrate span and impact of solution.
- Create wireframes and build prototypes to illustrate concepts and work closely with engineers to build out experiences.
- Plan and execute user interviews and usability tests to rapidly test and iterate designs, presenting the data to the full product and support team in regular intervals as a key component of our product development process.
- Feel comfortable making visual design decisions to evolve wireframes into finished product.
- Be a mentor to less-experienced designers and make your team stronger.
- Become a key user advocate and help teams improve user-centered design approaches in every corner of the business.
- 6+ years of hands-on experience designing products and conducting user research and be able to show how your work has had an impact. We expect to hear stories of how your research influenced product decisions and roadmaps.
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates proficiency in user experience design and leading user research.
- A demonstrated ability to break down complex problems into strategic, incremental and user-centered solutions.
- You're in your comfort zone applying user research to evolving interfaces through a fast-paced, iterative design / build / test process.
- Prior experience with complex scientific, engineering or other technical software/hardware a plus.
- Excited to work with passionate scientists and engineers towards creating new software/hardware tools that push the boundaries of how scientific research is performed.
What Opentrons Offers:
- Generous base salary
- Equity grant
- Fully covered medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- The opportunity to change the world!
Please apply for this role directly via our website application form.