Join our UX Research team to take a lead role in driving user experience research for a family of enterprise web applications. In this role you will carry out high-impact foundational and directional research in collaboration with designers, domain experts, engineers, and product managers. Your work will directly influence how people around the world are able to leverage ArcGIS apps to tackle the world’s most complex challenges.
Our ideal candidate is driven by purpose, collaboration, and the exchange of new ideas. They embrace complexity and seek to demystify it for others. They are proactive about making research a team sport, identifying research needs and opportunities, and improving processes. They are eager to hone their craft while expanding their domain knowledge and understand the power of both listening and sharing their expertise.
- Lead exploratory and evaluative research projects that drive the innovation and incremental improvement of web-based data analysis and visualization software
- Partner with product and design leadership to develop a research roadmap and collaborate with design, engineering, and management stakeholders across the lifecycle of research projects
- Effectively work with multiple product teams to meet research needs and to establish priorities and expectations
- Draw on multiple sources and types of data to identify and answer research questions, including qualitative and quantitative user research data, analytics, customer satisfaction surveys, tech support logs, and more
- Take an inclusive approach to research and design, ensuring our participants, data, and recommendations reflect the diverse settings and backgrounds of our users
- Contribute to internal processes that bolster the rigor, speed, visibility, and value of research
- Pioneer novel research approaches to understanding Esri’s users and technologies web and mobile experiences
- Be a human-centered research and design advocate—have an expert opinion, use your voice, mentor and train others, and share your knowledge widely internally and externally through talks and publications
- 8+ years of experience conducting and leading user experience research for enterprise software
- Expert-level knowledge of qualitative, participatory, and mixed-method research methodologies and their execution across remote, in-person, moderated, and unmoderated formats
- Expert-level knowledge of design patterns and common usability challenges for web or data applications/software
- Demonstrated knowledge of research strategies and design considerations for complex, enterprise software
- Experience recruiting participants from specialized B2B audiences, international users, and people with disabilities
- Understanding of the practical and ethical considerations surrounding informed consent, user privacy, data management, and participant representation
- A holistic and collaborative approach to defining and solving problems, and the ability to triangulate insights across varied sources of evidence
- A strong sense of ownership, transparency, flexibility, and ability to self-initiate projects
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and presentation skills, with the ability to make complex ideas easily understandable
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills evidenced by the ability to self-manage and appropriately scope and manage collaborative research projects
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in human-computer interaction, information science, anthropology, psychology, sociology, or related field
- Knowledge of geographic information system (GIS) technologies, digital mapping, or related data analysis or visualization applications
- Familiarity with accessibility standards and software localization, internationalization, and translation
- Familiarity applying quantitative methods to the exploration and analysis of software usage data
- Experience with product development methodologies, such as Agile and Scrum
- Master's degree preferred
Our passion for improving quality of life through geography is at the heart of everything we do. Esri’s geographic information system (GIS) technology inspires and enables governments, universities, and businesses worldwide to save money, lives, and our environment through a deeper understanding of the changing world around them.
Esri is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Esri’s competitive total rewards strategy includes industry-leading health and welfare benefits: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance for employees (and their families), 401(k) and profit-sharing programs, minimum accrual of 80 hours of vacation leave, twelve paid holidays throughout the calendar year, and opportunities for personal and professional growth. Base salary is one component of our total rewards strategy. Compensation decisions and the base range for this role take into account many factors including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs.
A reasonable estimate of the base salary range is $114,400.00 - $189,280.00.