When you join Trunk Club, you join the Nordstrom family. Our fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment is paired with the strong history and experience of a retail legacy. We have access to some of the greatest minds in retail and technology and are constantly creating innovative strategies to develop the ultimate apparel solutions. We welcome your adaptability, your curiosity, and your passion to contribute to our unparalleled shopping experience!
Who we are
Trunk Club is looking for a Product Design Researcher to guide and inspire product teams into uncovering meaningful human-centered insights that drive great design and innovation.
Why is this Job Important to Trunk Club?
Great design is born out of great research. Our Design Researcher will lead product teams through a journey of human-centered research to discover insights and inspiration and contribute to all phases of the design process.
We’re seeking an individual who is naturally empathetic and passionate about people. Design Researchers bring to life the voice of the people they’re designing for, connecting the internal design team and product organization to the human experience. With society and technology continuing to evolve at a breakneck speed, Trunk Club needs a Design Researcher to help us strengthen our digital fluency (through both using digital tools for research as well as doing research in the context of designing digital platforms and products) - to push the edges of how we search for insights and inspiration for both internal and client initiatives.
What you’ll do
- Synthesize research findings. Uncover and articulate insights that will inform and inspire design. Design Researchers must be able to lead the team through the analysis and synthesis processes – distilling down to focus on the most important insights, linking them together in frameworks or principles for design.
- Ability to shape and lead strategically. Lead systems thinking based upon insights gathered through research
- Collaborate. Work with Designers, Product Managers, Engineers to prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Execute. Develop research deliverables and advocate research findings to diverse audiences through written and in-person presentations
- Present. Communicate findings and opportunities in clear, concise, and compelling ways to stakeholders
Who you are
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, exercising a balance between research rigor and inspiration
- Exceptional communication and storytelling skills; fluency and confidence in inspiring teammates and clients with user-driven rationale
- Experience conducting online ethnography, implementing remote user studies, creating apps to track behavior
- Strength in particular research speciality: design strategy, generative and exploratory research, surveys, statistical modeling, analytics/visualization, etc.
- Openness to critique from other disciplines and curiosity to learn from a spectrum of perspectives.
- Experience in organizational/business/brand/systems design is a plus
- A strong network in the creative and research community
- 4-8 years of qualitative research experience - scoping research, leading fieldwork, conducting interviews, etc
- BA/BS degree in Anthropology, Human Factors, Psychology, or related fields
How we work
- With others. Work closely with cross functional partners to structure human-centered research and lead the internal and client teams through fieldwork, analysis of findings and insight development.
- With transparency. We have an open layout. No cubicles, no private offices.
- With agility. We are continually evolving our creative process. Be ready to work and think outside the box, often on tight deadlines.
- With open minds. We are committed to building a diverse team of people with unique perspectives. This encourages a healthy and inclusive environment that builds a more sustainable, successful company.
- With pride. We value our people most of all. We invest in ourselves by applying our own strengths and interests to company needs.
A few of our perks
- A location in the popular Chicago River North neighborhood
- Trunk Club University - our growth program which allows for development opportunities
- Team outings
- Merchandise discount
- Flexible work environment
- Social environment with built-in bars, a rooftop view, and our very own coffee shop!