Blink is looking for a UX Research Director to join our Seattle team. This individual will lead research projects that employ a variety of methods to address client UX needs and opportunities. As a UX research strategist, this person will frequently propose and scope client projects. We are seeking a thought leader with previous consulting and team management experience as well as a track record of delivering compelling research findings and recommendations to clients.
- Direct a small team of researchers, supporting their growth and development at the company through coaching and mentoring.
- Participate in client meetings with Blink’s client engagement team members as a subject matter expert. Scope and propose specific research projects that address client needs.
- Lead multiple research projects with Blink researchers and Project Managers.
- Provide input and substantive feedback to team members as they plan, moderate, and create deliver findings reports from research studies. Ensure that project outcomes and deliverables meet Blink’s high-quality standards.
- Understand client business goals while advocating for well-crafted and enjoyable user experiences.
- Provide input about project team resourcing such that Blink teams are organized to best serve client and project needs.
- Work with the Head of Research and other Blink Research Directors to grow and fine-tune the company’s research practice.
- Identify opportunities to build awareness, credibility, and reputation through direct communication with potential clients as well as through outward communication channels.
- Occasionally work as senior research practitioner as needs dictate.
- Lead company initiatives on special topics of interest or new services.
- Formal education in a relevant field such as human-centered design, cognitive psychology, information science, or equivalent hands-on experience to demonstrate an understanding of usability theory, methods, and practices.
- Deep knowledge of current UX research methods and tools and ability to prescribe single or mixed research methods depending on research questions.
- 8+ years of experience designing and conducting a wide range of UX research activities.
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills.
- Ability to articulate the value of user experience research and design to clients and executives.
- Demonstrated thought leadership through public speaking or writing.
- Experience working directly with clients in a consulting role, including leading client meetings.
- Experience managing and leading other researchers.
- Proven ability to communicate recommended design solutions for observed UX issues.
- Working knowledge of technology constraints and capabilities.
- Direct experience with user-centered design projects.
- UX design experience is a plus.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) is a plus.
- Expert in applied UX research.
- Desire to work on multiple projects in fast-paced consulting environment.
- Enjoy working independently and taking ownership of work.
- Desire to mentor and coach other researchers.
- Quality-driven and results oriented.