Blink is looking for a UX Research Director to join our San Francisco team. This individual will lead research projects that employ a variety of methods to address client UX needs and opportunities. As a UX research strategist, this person will frequently propose and scope client projects. We are seeking a thought leader with previous consulting and team management experience as well as a track record of delivering compelling research findings and recommendations to clients. The ideal candidate is equally excited to lead client engagements, mentor team members, and to roll your sleeves up in hands-on project work.
Please note that we are targeting a start date in May/June 2019.
- Direct a small team of researchers, supporting their growth and development at the company through coaching and mentoring.
- Participate in client meetings with Blink’s client engagement team members as a subject matter expert. Scope and propose specific research projects that address client needs.
- Lead multiple research projects with Blink researchers, designers and Project Managers.
- Provide input and substantive feedback to team members as they plan, moderate, and create deliver findings reports from research studies. Ensure that project outcomes and deliverables meet Blink’s high-quality standards.
- Understand client business goals while advocating for well-crafted and enjoyable user experiences.
- Provide input about project team resourcing such that Blink teams are organized to best serve client and project needs, whether for research-only projects, or multi-disciplinary user-centered design engagements.
- Work with the Chief Research Officer, Head of Research and other Blink Research Directors to grow and fine-tune the company’s research practice.
- Identify opportunities to build awareness, credibility, and reputation through direct communication with potential clients as well as through outward communication channels.
- Work as senior research practitioner, leading and conducting a variety of research studies on projects as needs dictate.
- Lead company initiatives on special topics of interest or new services.
- Formal education in a relevant field such as human-centered design, cognitive psychology, information science, or equivalent hands-on experience to demonstrate an understanding of user research theory, methods, and practices.
- Deep knowledge of current UX research methods and tools and ability to prescribe single or mixed research methods depending on research questions.
- 8+ years of experience designing and conducting a wide range of design and UX research activities, from generative/foundational research to evaluative studies.
- Solid expertise with ability to both execute and guide team members on a mix of methods such as qualitative user interviews, ethnographic fieldwork, concept evaluation, diary studies, surveys, usability, and more.
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills.
- Ability to articulate the value of user experience research and design to clients and executives.
- Demonstrated thought leadership through public speaking or writing.
- Experience working directly with clients in a consulting role, including leading client meetings.
- Experience managing and leading other researchers.
- Proven ability to communicate recommended design solutions for observed UX and product issues.
- Working knowledge of technology constraints and capabilities.
- Direct experience with multi-disciplinary user-centered design projects.
- Experience collaborating with team members and stakeholders across different disciplines and areas of expertise (e.g. research, design, business, engineering)
- UX design, product development, or product management experience is a plus.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) is a plus.
- Expert in applied design and UX research.
- Desire to work on multiple projects in fast-paced consulting environment.
- Enjoy working independently and taking ownership of work.
- Desire to mentor and coach other researchers.
- Quality-driven and results oriented.