With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, Accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. We are responsible for accommodation growth, with clear ownership of all marketing, product, and supply related to accommodations. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and the most varied selection of properties.
About the Team
The Product Experience team looks after pieces of the core app and web experience of our customers at Booking.com. The team is made up of a range of analytical, research skill sets with a singular goal: to deliver a positive customer experience across our platforms. The research manager will look across the teams and help to understand where and when research can best be applied to impact short and long term decisions that improve our customer’s experience. This role will also collaborate with the other parts of the ABU to ensure that insights are shared and collaborations happen.
About the Role
As a Research leader, you define and drive the understanding of customers - and the future of travel experiences. You partner with our teams to understand guests and partners. Your team identifies and shapes product strategy and inspires their cross-functional partners to create great experiences. Leading and growing a high performing team of skilled researchers who provide the foundation for well-informed, objective, data-oriented decision making across Booking.com accommodation business.
In this role, you will ensure best use of research resources that achieve best insight-related outcomes, and manage stakeholder requests and expectations with regard to research needs and team execution, including sign off on priorities.
You will build fundamental understanding of the current user experience, pull together customer data collected by teams across the business, develop an accurate and inspiring picture of our customers to guide ongoing product development and shape product definition and strategy.
You are a strong and empathetic leader who manages and develops the members of the team. You bring expertise in research practices across all phases of the product life-cycle, excellent knowledge of primary research methods (surveys, diary studies, interviews and focus groups) as well as secondary & expert methods (such as litreviews, cognitive walkthroughs and desk research), grounding in product development processes and effective cross-functional collaboration skills. You will lead research programs that influence the customer proposition, align UX research activities with wider plans. You manage and develop the members of the team, guiding their development. You are an excellent communicator and will partner closely with senior stakeholders and the leadership team.
- Provide direction for a team of direct reports; inspiring and challenging them in their day to day work and their career path.
- Invest in and enable the team’s collective success, delivering business outcomes and building a cohesive, high performing team.
- Guide team on how to set up research and use data from multiple sources to inform the product experience
- Establish team objectives, including routes to achieving them, and share broadly
- Build strong collaboration with Analytics, Marketing and Data & Reporting teams to validate and spot connections across data sources and connect disparate data points across consumer insights and other business data.
- Define and measure quantitative UX goals and metrics in collaboration with Researchers, Designers, Analysts and Product Managers.
- Develop engaging methods of research dissemination and in developing appropriate UX KPIs for use by the business.
- Be the users' advocate, ensuring their needs are central to design and development decisions across the business.
- 5-8 years' UX research delivery in a consultancy, agency or in-house setting.
- Experience managing and growing a team of UX Researchers (4+).
- Experience with primary and secondary research methods in Research (prefer experience at tech company)
- Experience with designing, leading and implementing UX Research projects at scale
- Knowledge and practical experience of using a variety of UX research methods (qualitative and quantitative), with a strong awareness of their merits and weaknesses.
- Strong analytical skills, with a demonstrated ability to distill the output of complex datasets
- Knowledge of User Centered Design principles and best practices.
- Awareness of experimentation principles.
- Ecommerce or travel industry exposure.
- Degree or higher degree in psychology, behavioural sciences, HCI, economics, business management,, or similar
- Personable – Adaptable and able to make others feel at ease.
- Analytical – Investigative, inquisitive, always asking 'why?'
- Collaborative – Able to facilitate effective working among colleagues in various roles.
- Organised – Capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Articulate – Able to convey customer insights persuasively and accurately.
- Principled – Focussed on the right outcome for your users.
- An opportunity to contribute to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Various opportunities to grow technically and personally via side projects, hackathons, conferences and your involvement in the community.
- Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic cities in Europe: Amsterdam
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits
Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world
- Generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam
- With over 70 different nationalities within the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and grow your career in a multicultural environment.