Gemic is a global business consultancy operating out of New York, Helsinki, Berlin, London, and Toronto. Powered by systems thinking and the social sciences, we help the world’s leading companies to grasp shifts in culture, industry, and technology, while defining opportunities for meaningful innovation and growth.
Our global community of researchers and strategists comes from a variety of professional, scholarly, and business backgrounds, ranging from the humanities, to the social sciences, to design and innovation, and beyond. Though, what we all have in common are the values of curiosity, analytical rigor, open-mindedness, and care for each others’ wellbeing.
About the Role
Gemic has been steadily growing over the past few years and we are looking to expand our operations team to include a dedicated staffing and project operations function. As a company with a global footprint and clientele, our project teams are assembled across offices and geographies. A key priority of ours is ensuring that project teams are equipped to effectively and profitably run work streams and client engagements together - while maintaining the inspiration and intellectual ‘fun’ that comes with the work!
While being physically located in one of our North American offices (New York City or Toronto) this is a global role that will work closely with our strategy consultants, Operations and Finance Leads across all offices, as well as the Global Leadership team.
In you, we are looking for a strong, passionate collaborator and culturally competent champion of people. You believe the devil is in the details and through this philosophy, bring exceptional attention and focus in the project management and operational support you provide. You have a passion for people and pride yourself on finding solutions that optimize project team’s success and employee engagement.
This is a true left brain/right brain role. On the one hand, you will be the organizational backbone of Gemic’s project delivery team, developing and managing the systems, processes, and tools that ensure our business runs smoothly, and that employees have what they need to do their best work. On the other hand, you will use your “people-first” mentality to creatively solve challenges and enable successful project teams.
- Manage the lifecycle of of the project staffing process; ensure that project teams include the right team members from pre-sale through project delivery
- Develop a deep understanding of each of our people - their work experience, interests, growth opportunities, unique ways of working - to ensure the right people are matched with the right projects and teams
- Develop a deep understanding of our work - our capabilities, methodologies, clients - to ensure that projects are matched with the right people.
- Work with our Global People Lead to ensure that our employees’ evolving growth plans are incorporated into our project staffing strategies
- Develop a deep understanding of our external freelance network in order to augment project teams with freelancers when needed
- Work with different internal teams to maintain a backlog of internal initiatives and thoughtfully staffing people to this work when appropriate (including but not limited to; when an internal initiative is deemed of high priority, when specific team members need a rest from client project work, ongoing for all employees to balance out the often fast pace of consulting work)
- Provide the Leadership team with regular staffing availability reports
- Conducts project financial kick offs and closeouts, analyses and reports on project financials, conducts pattern recognition, proposes solutions
- Work closely with the Project Leads to ensure that project budgets, schedules and staffing allocations are up-to-date and accurate within our project management & time tracking system (SmartSheet)
- Provide guidance to Project Leads on project management (including project financial management) best practices
- Conduct weekly budget reviews with Project Leads to ensure that project time and expense allocations are up-to-date and work with our Finance Lead to conduct monthly revenue recognition activities
- Provide regular project budget health reports to Project Leads and Leadership
- Run regular capacity planning activities to compare projects in the pipeline with our current consulting team’s skill set and capacity, identify gaps in our team, and work with our People Lead to determine where we can grow existing team members and where we should hire
- Provide regular utilization reports to the Leadership team to identify issues and recommend solutions
- Identify project risks and recommend appropriate solutions
- Create/review project budgets for the business development team
- Support in developing and implementing project management procedures and methodologies to achieve business goals
- Validate inter-company revenue recognition based on knowledge of team worked and money spent
- Manage and maintain all client and project contracts
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications:
- 4-8 years working in a staffing, project operations or project management role for a high-growth consultancy, agency, creative shop, or similar
- Experience working on insights, strategy, or innovation projects for large, global clients
- Knowledgeable and passionate about the intersection of business and culture
- Experience working in roles with conflicting priorities and multiple stakeholders
- Ability to manage time effectively and autonomously
- Experience managing project and/or business budgets
- Experience in project KPI reporting, utilization reporting and capacity planning
- Bachelors or equivalent degree preferred, but not required
- Degree or certification(s) in business administration, project management or related fields a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, G Suite, project tracking and/or project management tools
Note: we are more interested in finding the right person for Gemic than we are about the exact level and details of experience, and will align the job title / leveling for the role based on the experience of the successful candidate. If you don’t have the exact experience outlined above, or your number of years of work experience is higher or lower than requested, please still apply!
What we offer
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 25 vacation days per calendar year
- Attractive company perks (e.g. learning budget, phone plan, health benefits)
- Exposure to high-impact projects with globally recognized brands
- A fast-growing company where your input and expertise plays part in steering the company forward
How to Apply
Please submit your resume/CV and cover letter here: https://gemic.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=27
Make sure to address the following questions in the cover letter:
- What process would you take to successfully onboard yourself into this role in an organization?
- What are the main challenges faced by people in a project operations and staffing role and how would you address them?
- What are the top 3 skills that someone in a project operations and staffing role should have, and why?
- The office you are interested in working from (New York or Toronto - please note, you must be eligible to work in the country that you select).