Greenfield Labs, part of Ford Smart Mobility LLC. Our purpose is to bring humanity to mobility through human-centered design. Mobility, the movement of people, goods and services is a basic human right that enables access to all the world has to offer. In collaboration with world-class design and technology leaders, we are exploring radical ideas to disrupt, augment, and reimagine mobility for humans and the things they love, today and tomorrow.
We believe that a deep understanding of people’s behaviors, mindsets, and needs is the foundation for impactful ideas. With insight, empathy, and intelligence we can design mobility products, services, and systems that are responsive, memorable, and most of all, empowering. We are searching for an exceptional Senior Design Researcher to join us on this challenging and transformative mission.
Somebody who brings with them a passion for human-centered design research. You are innately curious about people and seek to understand what drives and motivates them. You have a strong point-of-view about the right questions to ask and the most effective research methods to use to uncover insights. You are looking for a challenging and rewarding Senior Design Research role in a fast-paced and collaborative human-centered design environment.
As a Senior Design Researcher, you will…
- Lead the research portion of projects, from scoping and planning to conducting, synthesizing and communicating the insights.
- Be experienced in using a diverse range of research methodologies for all phases of research. Examples may include: in-context observations, interviews, surveys, analogous research, data analytics, usability evaluations, workshops, etc.
- Have the personality and demeanor to quickly build rapport with research participants, both in-person and remotely. People warm to you quickly, enabling them to engage in rich and natural conversations with you. You skillfully probe beyond their first response and can uncover deeper underlying insights, motivations, and needs.
- Craft and communicate compelling human-centered stories that articulate an engaging narrative and clear rationale, providing the foundation for designing impactful products, services, and experiences.
- Bring team members and key stakeholders on the journey by informing and inspiring them.
- You will expose them to our human-centered design process in a way that emotionally connects them to the work and the people we are designing for.
- Approach every day with a ‘we’ mindset and willingness to collaborate. You are a natural team player who is comfortable working on multi-disciplinary teams, which may include designers, engineers, developers, business strategists, etc.
Bachelor's degree in a Design, Design Research, Human-Computer Interaction, Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology, or related field.
5+ years of professional research experience within a design-centric environment.
- Skill and passion for design research with proven qualitative experience (quantitative research experience is a bonus).
- Capable of seeing the big picture, you are a strong strategic thinker capable of effectively applying different qualitative and/or quantitative research methods, appropriate to the project vision and goals.
- You possess deep research skills throughout the development process, and through prior work case studies can demonstrate you are detail oriented and delivery focused.
- Curious, confident, and creative, you are eager to experiment in approach and methods to explore and uncover people’s behaviors, attitudes, and unmet needs.
- Highly driven, you balance your strong focus on impact, with approachable humility. You are able to give and take constructive feedback professionally, to improve the overall quality of content within GFL.
- Strong verbal, written and visual presentation skills.
- Can articulate the value of design and user behavior within an existing or emerging business context. You identify and express the critical human centered trade-offs, that inform the team’s creative process.
- Organized and self-motivated.
The distance between imagination and creation. It can be measured in years of innovation, or in moments of brilliance. When you join the Ford team discover all the benefits, rewards and development opportunities you’d expect from a diverse global leader. You’ll become part of a team that is already leading the way, with ingenious solutions and attainable products – and it is always ready to go further.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Ford Motor Company is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.