Crown Equipment Corporation is one of the world’s largest material handling companies, with a reputation for award-winning product design, advanced engineering and technology, and superior after-sale service. Crown produces a broad range of forklifts and automation and fleet management technologies that are revolutionizing the material-handling industry. More than 85 percent of Fortune 500 companies use Crown forklifts. With over 15,000 employees, 19 manufacturing facilities, and 500 retail locations across 84 countries, Crown has a vast global presence. Crown’s global headquarters is in New Bremen, Ohio USA, with regional headquarters in Australia, China, Germany and Singapore.
This position is based in our New Bremen, Ohio USA global headquarters.
Crown is looking for a Senior Design Researcher with a broad range of capabilities in ethnography, product research, business model innovation, market analysis, and strategy to contribute to our growing Design Research team.
What you’ll do…
- Plan and execute large design research projects
- Use qualitative and quantitative methods to gather and develop a rich understanding of the tactical and strategic opportunities for Crown physical and technological products and services
- Engage with executive stakeholders to share the research insights through visual storytelling
What’s a day-in-the-life as a Senior Design Researcher?
- Travel to customer sites – both domestic and international and typically with overnight stay – to talk directly with operators and managers about their experiences and identify opportunities.
- Use design thinking tools and methods to analyze findings from field research.
- Engage stakeholders and product teams with insight and collaboratively work to uncover unmet needs and translate those needs into new products and services discovery.
You’re a good fit if…
You love asking questions and digging-in to find answers. You know there is always more than one way to look at things. You are a motivated, self-guided strategist who can easily grasp complex business issues, explore a broad range of information, identify meaningful patterns, and communicate insights through compelling stories and visuals. You can share examples of problems you’re passionate about and what you’ve done to explore them.
We’re a diverse and growing team of Design Researchers with backgrounds in anthropology, design, human factors psychology, and architecture. We constantly challenge ourselves to explore, and approach our work in a highly collaborative way with a spirit of Design Thinking. You’ll be tightly integrated into research and innovation work across the entire company, informing real strategic decisions.
Related Terms: Business Design, Design Strategist, Marketing Opportunity Strategist, Product Strategist, Research and Insights, Senior Marketing Strategist, Service Design, Strategic Marketing
Remote Work: Crown offers hybrid remote work for this position. A reasonable commute is necessary since mostly onsite work is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Design Research, Human Factors, Anthropology, Psychology, Behavioral Science, Human-Computer Interaction, or related field
- 5 years of experience in Design Research, Service Design, or Strategy in-house or with a consulting firm (Salary will be commensurate with applicable experience)
- Strong oral and written communication, computer, analytical, and organizational skills
- Ability to travel occasionally, with occasional overnight stays (0-5%)
- Valid driver's license and good driving record
- Computer Skills: Proficiency using Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, and qualitative analysis software.
- Experience in research fundamentals: Ability to execute on qualitative research planning, data collection and analysis with minimal direction. Sophisticated and mature perspective on qualitative research and its application. Able to build and communicate psychographic profiles of users.
- Analysis and sense-making: Ability to make sense of volumes of data and drive to meaningful insights.
- Experience with business strategy: Experience with exploring market and competitive questions, as well as defining and validating customer value propositions.
- Professional polish: Able to build rapport with customers and internal stakeholders. Experienced working in a business environment.
- Collaboration: Experienced working in teams, sharing wins and successes. Comfortable with ambiguity and shared responsibility.
- Quick study: Able to quickly understand a problem space.
- Global mindset: Experience living or working outside of the U.S. or on international projects.
- Visualization: Demonstrated experience visually representing research findings and concepts.
- Design thinking: Non-linear, systems thinking skills and an aptitude to explore, iterate, and pivot.
Crown will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future are not eligible for hire. No agency calls, please.
Compensation and Benefits
Crown offers an excellent wage and benefits package for full-time employees including Health/Dental/Vision/Prescription Drug Plan, Flexible Benefits Plan, 401K Retirement Savings Plan, Life and Disability Benefits, Paid Holidays, Paid Vacation, Tuition Reimbursement, and much more.
EO/AA Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled