Scoop brings co-workers and neighbors together to enjoy a smooth carpooling experience—unlocking new opportunities to create friendships, improve their well-being, and make the most of their valuable time.
User Research + Insights @ Scoop
At Scoop, delivering an incredible user experience is a philosophy that is embraced by the entire company – and fueled by great insights and user research. As a small, but mighty team of four User Researchers, we’re constantly investing in research initiatives that serve our continued development and enhancement of our core product categories: Carpooler, Customer, and Team.
Scoop’s Carpooler product is our engine, delivering the meaningful everyday experiences that empower commuters. As we expand and our understanding of Carpoolers matures, we continue to invest in new ways to advance our logistics and user experience at every step of the way.
Scoop’s go-to-market strategy is rooted in strong partnerships with Customers - major enterprises, business parks, and municipalities - that rely on Scoop to bring a dramatically improved commuting solution to their employees & commuters. Our Customer product is emergent and fueled by that go-to-market, with opportunities emerging from the newfound needs and interests of our key stakeholders as they ramp their investments.
And as our team scales, we will continue to invest in the underlying Team product and internal tools that enable us to do great work. From Sales to ScoopCare to Platform Engineering, we look to accelerate our operations for our internal “users.”
In this role, you will:
- Identify and execute against high-impact UX research opportunities – adapting between independent and team-based projects to deliver strategic and tactical insights to the company
- Summarize and present findings to stakeholders and the broader Scoop team in creative and engaging ways
- Contribute towards building a more established framework for our User Research and Insights footprint – from how we centralize and socialize research to how we continue to educate our growing company on the power of our work
- Partner with the UXR Manager to establish and incorporate best practices across research projects, including coaching and mentoring our research team and other curious team members along the way
- Leverage your generative and evaluative research expertise to advise on and strengthen our existing methods toolkit (interviews, surveys, field studies, contextual inquiry, usability, RITE testing, content testing, etc.)
- Partner with product, design, and engineering to leverage insights and champion user-centered design throughout the product development process
- And of course, have fun petting all of our adorable pups!
You should have:
- Masters or Ph.D. in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, or a related discipline
- 5+ years of experience as an applied UX Researcher in a product-focused setting
- Deep knowledge of a broad range of research methods – and excitement to share this knowledge with others – including: Usability concept and content testing, Qualitative data analysis research, Nice-to-have: quantitative research experience – from A/B or multivariate testing to survey design to usability benchmarking, etc.
- A track record of shaping products by executing impactful research – the right size at the right time – and socializing actionable insights
- Comfort with both qualitative data analysis and light, quantitative data analysis, and how to combine the two for deeper insights
- Experience working and collaborating cross-functionally – from scoping and structuring research projects to inspiring others through the power of empathy
- Strong presentation and communication skills, including understanding how to engage a variety of stakeholders using the right medium(s)
You are also:
- Organized and collaborative. It takes a lot of coordination and cross-team collaboration to gather good insights and distribute them across the company. You’ll need to be proactive and good at managing your own tasks and calendar.
- A dynamic worker. You’re comfortable switching seamlessly between self-directed independent work and highly collaborative teamwork.
- Curious. You love asking questions and feel like there’s always room to ask “why?”. What assumptions are being made? Why do we do it this way today? What does that person really mean?
- Comfortable with tech. We have a technically challenging product (the advanced algorithm for example). You’ll need to be comfortable using/understanding engineering lingo and working closely with engineers.
- Excited to learn and be flexible. You are excited about developing your skills and receptive to coaching. You have an honest communication style and the energy to get others on board. You love learning more about the audience you’re researching.
- Passionate. For user research, human behavior, the environment and improving folks’ commute. A big fan of behavioral design and/or the Hooked model. You might even geek out on psychology onsite.
Life @ Scoop
Founded in 2015 and based in downtown SF, our team mixes technology and elbow grease every day, with one statistic in our crosshairs: 80% of Americans drive alone to work. At Scoop, we envision a world where commuters feel empowered — starting with a choice to make their commute a meaningful part of their day. We embody that same spirit within our own culture, empowering every team member to make this the most meaningful experience of their career.
Walk into Scoop and you’ll find a furry, tail-wagging welcoming committee. In many ways these fluffy faces exemplify the energy that flows through our office. They are a reminder that while we’re focused and driven, we shouldn’t take ourselves too seriously. They also help bridge the gap between our homes and our workplace, just like a Scoop carpool.
The atmosphere overall is dynamic and unique. It’s influenced by our backgrounds at successful startups, big tech companies, and premier consulting firms — blended and crafted into what feels natural and right for this company. It plays out in our balance of scrappy and strategic, frameworks and fast thinking.
At Scoop, we’re all united by our desire to change the way people get to work — and committed to enjoying the journey together along the way.