We are seeking a senior user experience researcher to dive into some of our most complicated cross-company initiatives. This person will champion the value of insights, research, and user experience, within a business context and become an expert in a few mission-critical domains. The work will require communicating a point of view about what we should build and assumes a passion for using insights to inform product decisions.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
Waymo Insights is a team of interdisciplinary researchers charged with tackling some of the biggest questions in the organization. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product possible. We are particularly passionate about improving people’s lives through mobility. We conduct collaborative cross-functional research programs to inspire and inform human-centered, insights-driven decisions across the company.
In this Role you will
- Define and maintain a research roadmap on a specific domain area to build longitudinal expertise in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Run collaborative cross-functional research programs from end-to-end leveraging methodologies to suit the question - lab studies, field visits, ethnography, surveys, benchmark studies, server logs, job shadowing, experiments (A/B testing), and participatory exercises
- Drive change by translating research insights into persuasive narratives that inspire innovative solutions and inform key designs and decisions
- Craft and champion actionable recommendations to integrate with stakeholder workflows and improve operations, processes, and service
- Understand and translate complex technical and business needs into insights and recommendations
At minimum we'd like you to have
- BA/BS degree in Anthropology, Human Factors, Psychology, HCI/Computer Science Design Research, or other related fields or equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years industry experience conducting user research, design research, ethnographic, and/or market research
It's preferred if you have
- M.A/M.S./Ph.D. (in progress or completed) in Anthropology, Human Factors, Social Sciences, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Computer Science, Product Design, Cognitive Psychology, or other field
- Experience leveraging a range of qualitative and quantitative research methods and analysis techniques in highly diverse disciplinary environments
- Dexterity to work on both customer facing products as well as internal tools for engineering operations and workflows
- Research experience specifically focused on transportation as a service or mobility at a technology company
- Proven ability to manage large-scale projects across a diverse set of stakeholders, launch and scale successful consumer products or services