Blucora has a bold aspiration: we are committed to giving all people the tools needed to lead healthy financial lives - tools often reserved for the wealthy.
We now turn to the next leg, developing the technological tools that make our vision of financial health for all a reality. Atypical for the financial services industry, we take a contemporary approach to strategy and product development that is founded in user insights, rapid testing, and a singular focus on driving end-user value.
Since charting new territory daily is part of everyone's job at Blucora, we've attracted team members who thrive on the challenge, encourage each other, and are passionately committed to the goal. If you agree that problem-solving is a team sport, and feel energized by a good debate, deep-dive research, or a fun night out with colleagues, we might be the right firm for you!
TaxAct, a subsidiary of Blucora and sister company to Avantax Wealth Management and Avantax Planning Partners is seeking a Senior UX Researcher who is well versed in both generative and evaluative user research. The ideal candidate is prepared and excited to tackle some deep, thorny research problems, and lead the drive to understand the customers’ context. This position is a unique opportunity to be part of helping to transform the next flagship product for Blucora. We are a dynamic fast-moving team, and we offer the stability and resources of a larger company.
The Senior UX Researcher will lead discovery and validation efforts across a wide range of product solutions. In this role, you will work closely with other members of our growing UX team, as well as product management, engineering, and marketing. The ideal candidate can formulate user behavior hypotheses and create effective testing strategies to drive critical decision-making. The position requires effective communication and organizational skills, as well as experience leveraging user research and analytics to make data-driven decisions. If you’re interested in being part of a team that dreams large and helps millions of taxpayers receive the maximum refunds, they’re entitled to then we would like to speak with you!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, the Senior UX Researcher must be able to successfully execute the following duties:
- Authors test scripts and gather input/data for user-testing initiatives.
- Conducts remote and in-person usability testing, customer voices sessions, contextual inquiry.
- Develops research methodology and approach that fits our organization and UX team.
- Design and execute qualitative studies from study recruitment to report out.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research in a brief time frame as well as develop long-term research agenda.
- Mentor designers in research skills.
- Documents, shares, and presents data interpretation gained through the research activities.
- Influences and drives decisions to acquire appropriate tools for collecting, analyzing, and assimilating qualitative and quantitative data.
- Manage cross-team stakeholder relationships.
- Relentless customer advocate.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Digital Design, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), anthropology or other social science, or equivalent.
- Five to eight years of professional experience as a user experience researcher, or a similar role.
- Experience conducting user research and usability tests that deliver actionable insights for designers.
- Strong bias for action and the ability to juggle multiple priorities and effectively deliver in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Willingness to work hard and do what's necessary to meet team goals.
- Strong knowledge of both quantitative and qualitative design methodologies.
Physical Demand & Work Effort
- Keying/typing, standing, walking.
- Sitting for an extended period.
- Constant mental and/or visual attention; the work is either repetitive or diversified requiring constant alertness in an office environment.
- The job is typically performed under comfortable working conditions; any disagreeable elements are generally absent during the normal performance of the job.
- Compliance with company attendance standards.
We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid vacation and sick days, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and 401(k) with company match.
At Blucora, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, Blucora welcomes and celebrates diversity and inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At Blucora, you can expect a supportive, open, and inclusive atmosphere and a team that values your contributions.
Blucora, Inc. and its subsidiaries, Avantax Wealth Management, Avantax Planning Partners (formerly HK Financial Services), and TaxAct are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and any other status protected under federal or state law. Blucora considers information gathered in the hiring process, including information on this application, confidential, and only shares it on a need-to-know basis or as required by law.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at HR@Blucora.com or by calling 972-870-6000 to speak with a member of the HR Talent Acquisition team.