The Amazon Kids & Family Digital team is building best-in-class software products for kids and families. Working for Amazon FreeTime offers a creative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment where you will be at the center of Amazon innovation.
Amazon FreeTime Unlimited brings together all types of content that kids and parents love including books, games, Audible books, educational apps, movies and TV shows. FreeTime provides peace of mind for parents with parental controls and a world of fun for kids to choose from thousands of the most popular titles and age-appropriate content.
This role will require that you work closely with design, product management and engineering for the kids & family digital product, marketing, and global teams, as well as with partner teams across Kindle Digital Products that design and develop several of our core platform products, such as Fire tablets, Kindle e-readers, Amazon Echo, iOS and Android apps.
You must be able to define and execute on a comprehensive user research roadmap spanning a broad set of products, and involving multiple types of concurrent user research. Research activities will span from generative work (field work, development of customer models and persona building), evaluative work (usability studies and concept evaluation), to summative research (interfacing with market research to parse through and translate market segmentation data). Solid knowledge of all phases of the product and design development cycle is critical for this position. In addition, good understanding of the relationship between applications, devices and platforms will be central for being successful in designing, scoping and executing appropriate user research.
We are a young and fast moving organization, and the successful candidate will therefore need to be nimble, creative, be a self-starter and have a pragmatic approach to user research and product development. Experience from working with incubation and version 1 software products is highly desirable, as is prior experience with educational software and other relevant products.
This position requires the ability to work with minimal direction and network proactively. You must be comfortable working on multiple products and applications in parallel, which is why strong organizational skills with the capability to multi-task are critical. Amazon is a fast-paced and exciting environment. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with a high degree of ambiguity and will be able to thrive in a resource constrained environment.
· Understand product roadmaps and be able to translate them into long-term and short term research plans.
· Provide expertise to the larger user research team and raise the user research bar by executing research that shows creativity and a commitment to high standards.
· Work closely with the design and product management teams to define, measure and communicate user research metrics and actionable recommendations for the various customer experience solutions evaluated.
The ideal candidate will have:
· End-to-end experience with all aspects of the user research lifecycle (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting, communicating, budgeting research).
· Hands-on experience with: lab-based user testing, remote testing, paper prototype testing, iterative prototype testing, concept evaluation, field research, and survey design.
· Experience in best practices for user research and knowledge of what approaches work and which don’t.
· Having worked on at least one version 1 or incubation product with successful results.
· The ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
· The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously and multi-task in an agile environment.
· A clear passion for making a positive impact on customers’ lives through your work.
· 5-8 years of proven success conducting user research in a growing software development setting, or equivalent.
· A strong portfolio demonstrating past work experience and deliverables (e.g.: study plans, reports, and data visualizations).
· Ph.D. or M.S. in Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human-Centered Design, or similar.
· Extensive experience operating as an individual contributor in a user research role.
· Experience working in a fast-paced software development environment within a highly entrepreneurial organization.
· Past experience in education-related product research and mobile application development.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with users of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
· A healthy mix of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
· Good understanding of the software, design and product development cycle
· Experience with agile software development and how user research fits in.
· UX Research experience in non-US markets.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age