Role: UX Designer, Streams
Location: Mountain View, California
DeepMind - Applied
Our Applied group works with teams at DeepMind and Google to bring the best available technologies to address some of the world’s most pressing and complex challenges. We work in fields from healthcare to energy efficiency to Google products used by millions around the world, collaborating with experts on research and tools to support and improve their work.
In healthcare, we work on a wide range of projects from groundbreaking machine learning research through to our flagship mobile application Streams. This next generation of clinical software is already being used in hospitals where it’s helping clinicians provide care to their patients now, while also laying the framework to apply DeepMind’s AI research in future.
We’ve already made a number of high profile breakthroughs in AI, and following our acquisition by Google in 2014 have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years. This combination of applied research & real world products, help us work towards the safe & ethical deployment of AI technologies, in order to make the world a better place.
We’re a close-knit family of product & project managers, designers, user researchers, computer scientists, academic researchers, engineers and clinicians. We’ve all made significant commitments to our health work, and are committed to working together for the long term. We aim for psychological safety, dependability, empowerment, diversity & inclusion. Some of us are fresh out of university, while others helped design the protocol that served you this very page.
At DeepMind Health we ground ourselves in the complexities of the healthcare space today, with the intention of supporting transformation for the near and long term. Within DeepMind Health we work in cross-disciplinary teams to deliver value early and often to clinicians. We also have a community of designers and user researchers who collectively share methods, advice and experience.We have already made a number of high profile breakthroughs in AI and as part of Google/Alphabet we now have all the ingredients in place to make further significant progress over the coming years. We are looking for a highly talented and driven individual who wants to be part of an exceptional team, work in an inspiring and collaborative environment,and join a company focused on ground-breaking technology with potentially extraordinary impact.
As a UX Designer in DeepMind Health, you are a champion of user centered design process. You thrive in ambiguity and can identify opportunities and challenges based on user insights. Working within a cross-functional team of designers, UX researchers, engineers, strategists, clinicians and product managers, you can take an idea from its inception to production, through iterative cycles. You are a true team player, interested in learning and contributing to the team with your knowledge.
Broad responsibilities of UX Designers in DeepMind Health are:
- Collaborating with cross-functional team across DeepMind Health to develop functional, intuitive products
- Owning a product area and delivering across the product lifecycle from product strategy to requirements gathering to concept creation, iterating through agile cycles to user testing
- Designing solutions for a multitude of users with varying needs (Doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals) on the same problem area using research and personas
- Running design workshops and design sprints to bring together perspectives and create informed solutions to user’s problems
- Designing with and building upon Streams Design System to create solutions that scale with the product
- Running research sessions including discovery, iterative and evaluative research for a product area and iterating on concepts and designs based on insights
- 8+ years of experience in user-centered design for digital products
- A broad portfolio of designs across multiple platforms demonstrating range of skills and experiences including but not limited to design strategy, information architecture, hierarchical task analysis, journey/storymapping, design concepts, sketching, iterative designs, prototyping, storytelling
- Strong storytelling and presentation skills to inspire a room and bring team on board around user problems and design ideas
- Excellent communication skills with product managers, designers, researchers and developers and experience presenting designs to stakeholders
- Experience designing for mobile and desktop, fluency in interaction patterns of Android & iOS and familiarity with web/desktop tool design
- Strong understanding of/experience in agile methodologies such as Scrum/Kanban
- Experience in designing, planning and facilitating user research or previous experience of working with user researchers
- Ability to translate user research findings into design recommendations and concept adaptations
- Experience in working in medical software design and development
- Strong appetite for learning and supporting the growth of other team members
- Experience of advocating for human centered design approaches within startups or larger organizations
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, creative and dynamic environment
- Experience of working with remote teams
- Experience of being in a scaling company, and a keenness to nurture a cross disciplinary collaborative culture
- Experience in recruitment and building up a team
- Active interest in healthcare and socio-tech trends
- Ability to travel across the US and UK for project related work
Please include a link to a portfolio or personal website in your application.
DeepMind welcomes applications from all sections of society. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.