Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at one of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
The Los Angeles Times is looking for a UX & Consumer Researcher to work as part of a cross-disciplinary team that’s helping to create the future of journalism. You will have the opportunity to conduct research that supports our overarching mission of delivering hard-hitting and resonant news; your research will also help guide business strategy and product development in the rapidly evolving news industry. As a member of our growing Data team, you’ll report to the UX & Consumer Research Manager.
This position will be based in our El Segundo, CA office.
This is a hands-on research role, and we're looking for someone with skills, passion and integrity.
The UX & Consumer Researcher will support two main research areas:
- Generative research: help identify new opportunities (editorial, business, and product) through consumer and market research.
- Evaluative research: support existing technology and new product explorations using such methods as surveys and usability studies.
- Help us better understand our audience (current and future) using a variety of methods, mainly qualitative (interviews, surveys, diary studies, ethnography, etc.)
- Identify the right questions to ask (and answer) to move our editorial, product, and business strategies forward
- Contribute to the development of a strong and innovative research practice at the Los Angeles Times and the San Diego Union-Tribune
- Design and conduct various types of user research; identify the best method based on goals and resources
- Analyze user behavior through usability studies, fieldwork, ethnography, surveys, user analytics, server logs and online experiments, to help improve our digital products, and innovate in the new product area.
Occasional travel may be required to conduct on-site research (mainly in the state of California, but sometimes beyond), or to visit the offices of the San Diego Union-Tribune. This role is based in El Segundo, California.
- Bachelor's degree in applied social science or Humanities
- Guts and integrity: This role requires the ability to be direct with internal stakeholders and collaborators, and unwavering in your commitment to constantly validate (or invalidate) ever-changing ideas and assumptions about our users and our audience
- 2+ years of hands-on experience designing and executing user research (mainly qualitative), preferably in a business setting, or with demonstrable outcomes for a non-academic institution
- The ability to embrace uncertainty, and to make others comfortable with uncertainty, while still providing solid guidance based on research findings
- A demonstrated ability to identify and define research opportunities, while also prioritizing incoming research requests and managing a growing research roadmap
- A robust methods toolkit, mastery of a variety of qualitative and quantitative research techniques, and the knowledge and creativity to apply the right method at the right time
- Strong communication skills, and the ability to influence and inspire change
- Strong interest in journalism and a commitment to support the Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union Tribune’s journalistic mission
To apply, please use the link below to access the Workday portal. After creating an account in Workday, upload your resume and a cover letter using the "Apply" button. Please note, the option to upload a cover letter appears on the third screen.
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.