Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the UX Research team
At Canva, our users are at the heart of everything we do. Our UX Research team plays a vital role in the vision and success of our company. One of the best things about Canva is how much everyone across the business cares about users and improving their experience - you’ll never have to sell anyone on the value of user research.
Our team conducts qualitative and quantitative research to inform design decisions, product strategies, and identify opportunities. We believe that research findings are most powerful when they’re out of reports, and actively being applied and used by product teams. Researchers partner with PMs, designers, engineers, and marketers to help them better understand Canva’s multi-faceted user base, solve complex challenges, and improve the product experience for millions of users worldwide.
Our research team is diverse, collaborative, and supportive. We each bring unique strengths and interests to the group and encourage each other to grow in our craft every day.
About the Supergroup
The Teams & Education Supergroup is on a mission to power up design to enable learning, creativity, collaboration, and productivity. Canva’s subscription products including Pro, Teams, Education and Nonprofits are all product led from within the Teams & Education supergroup as well as all core teams experiences such as content management and collaboration. In 2023, we dream of making Canva a household name in every team, with a huge focus on winning teams after seeing huge success of teams growth in 2022.
So far we’ve launched a range of teams and collaboration capabilities, but this is just the beginning of our journey. As the UX Research Manager for the Teams & Education Supergroup, you will help us deliver a number of critical initiatives to achieve our company-level strategy of driving teams and collaboration in Canva. We want to make Canva the tool that every team - big and small - wants to use to collaborate and communicate every day, from the classroom to the workplace.
About the role
We’re searching for an experienced UX Research Manager to lead a team of researchers within the Teams & Education Supergroup. Research projects you’ll oversee directly tie to Canva’s company-wide goals, so increasing user understanding and identifying key product opportunities is of critical importance.
At Canva, we approach management differently than other companies. We call managers “coaches” because this reflects the type of relationship we’d like you to have with your direct reports (“coachees.”). As a UX Research Coach, you’ll work with several researchers, unlocking their potential to enhance their own performance. We value autonomy, setting crazy big goals, personal growth, and self-reflection.
Additionally, our managers are “player-coaches.” This means that you won’t solely be managing researchers. You’ll keep one foot in the craft – this could mean synthesizing findings across previous studies; providing consultative support for designers or PMs conducting research; or even leading your own research projects.
You sphere of ownership includes:
- Prioritizing what research is happening across the entire Supergroup, including proactively identifying gaps in knowledge.
- Ensuring all research conducted across the Supergroup is high quality; helping elevate research findings into truly design-inspiring and business-impacting insights
- Influencing product and business decisions at the senior leadership level, sharing research insights and opportunities, and acting as the voice of the customer.
What you'll do:
- Build and coach an impactful team of 5+ researchers. Support them through 1:1 coaching, including shaping research plans, providing constructive feedback, setting career goals, and formal reviews.
- Develop research roadmaps for the Supergroup, aligned to product and business objectives, and be able to adjust these if/when priorities shift
- Act as a trusted, strategic partner to Supergroup Leads (Design, Product, Engineering, Data) through your team delivering research insights that lead to demonstrable business value. Work closely with Leads to apply research findings and implement them in their short-and long-term strategy.
- Define the T&E research team’s identity, ways of working, and culture. Create a positive environment of belonging, trust, safety, and inclusion.
- Working with Canva’s Head of Research and other leaders, contribute to the UX Research team’s overall strategy and goals. Bring your ideas and initiative to level up our collective craft and impact.
- Creatively build an exceptional research culture within the Teams & Education Supergroup, including at the leadership level. For example, showcasing research insights in Supergroup-wide presentations and workshops with cross-functional teams and executive, etc.
- Lead foundational research projects for the Supergroup (which may include leading teams of multiple researchers, vendors, etc.), setting the standard for the high quality of research we strive for.
Experience you will have:
- You are a qualitative researcher with 6+ years of experience leading research studies: planning, recruiting, executing, analyzing, and activating. We expect to hear examples of how your research influenced product and design team decision-making.
- At least 1+ year of experience coaching researchers - you understand how to make an impact through empowering, growing, and motivating others.
- Experience as a Design Research Lead, directing and planning research strategy across multiple projects and researchers.
You have proven skills and confidence in communicating about, and advocating for, user research with senior stakeholders and leadership.
- You have a proven grasp of qualitative research methodologies. You can flex research plans creatively based on constraints and context, clearly communicating trade-offs to stakeholders.
- You thrive in a fast-paced work environment that requires exceptional problem-solving skills, autonomy, and driving forward through ambiguity. You can juggle multiple priorities and handle change.
- You have experience closely collaborating with product teams (PM, Design, Engineering, Marketing, and more). You enjoy collaborating with stakeholders throughout projects, and consider bringing them along the journey to be an essential part of the process.
- You have experience helping People Who Do Research (e.g. designers and PMs) become better researchers. For example, providing feedback on research plans, interview technique, or final reports.
- You have strong communication and facilitation skills. Whether it’s during a workshop, presentation, or even a Slack message - you have a highly developed ability to rally a team together and inspire change.
- You always keep your ear to the ground for relevant insights happening across the organization, understanding the implications and opportunities, and bringing it back to your team.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
- Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
- We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
- Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
- Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
- Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.