Healthy Minds Innovations is a mission-driven non-profit organization founded by world-renowned neuroscientist, Dr. Richard Davidson. Through our work, we promote well-being in the world by creating and sharing tools and services that are based on rigorous scientific research. Alongside our colleagues at the Center for Healthy Minds at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we are dedicated to realizing the vision of a kinder, wiser, more compassionate world. We are located in vibrant downtown Madison, Wisconsin.
We are currently seeking to fill the role of UX Researcher.
The UX Researcher is a valued member of HMI’s Design team and works across product initiatives to more effectively and efficiently deliver experiences that fulfill user needs. We take pride in crafting our products with user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
The successful candidate will play a role in shaping how we build research as a core competency across HMI and define how we put users first when conducting research.
The UX Researcher will collaborate directly with people across the organization both within and outside of the design team. This would be an excellent opportunity for a seasoned qualitative researcher who is interested in building and applying their craft. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a wide range of skills in the user-centered design process – from ideation to interaction design, to iterative testing. The UX Researcher will not only be an advocate for user-centered perspective within multidisciplinary team collaboration, but also a system thinker who can match user needs with system capabilities. While Healthy Minds Innovations is located in Madison, WI, remote applicants are welcome. HMI employees are temporarily working remotely under current conditions. This is a full time position.
In this role, responsibilities include:
- Define and prioritize research needs across multiple work streams.
- Partner closely with our other UX Researcher to build out HMI’s research practice and infrastructure.
- Work with designers and engineers to deliver iterated design based on user testing findings.
- Work collaboratively with business leads, designers, and engineers to define both the long-term strategy and short-term tactics for our products by grounding decisions in user needs and insights.
- Set-up and conduct interviews with users over the phone, over video chat, or asynchronously.
- Leading, crafting, and facilitating group discussions both internally with our team and externally with users.
- Recruit for interviews, user panels, design relevant discussion guides, and synthesize findings for sharing.
- Proactively support the expansion of diversity among all components of the organization, especially as it relates to inclusive testing and conducting user research.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The successful individual in this role:
- Has experience with conducting user based research.
- Has excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Loves problem-solving and finding creative solutions to problems.
- Desires to work in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Is careful and thorough in their work, with deep attention to detail.
- Is excited to learn new skills on the job.
- Is able to work steadily in a fast-paced tech start-up environment, while being flexible and able to adapt to the unexpected.
- Has experience in usability testing for digital products, remote interviewing (e.g. over video chat), and survey design.
- Has an in-depth understanding of UI design.
- Has a passion for solving for user needs and wants and experience driving impact from insights.
We recognize that talent can come from people with a variety of backgrounds. If you have experience that matches the job responsibilities, that is the most important qualification for this particular role.
In addition, the successful candidate must:
- Pass a background check
- Be able to work in the US without requiring sponsorship
While not required, we especially encourage applications from people who:
- Have 3+ years experience in UX Research or equivalent work experience.
- Have topical expertise in well-being and positive psychology, especially in the science of contemplative practices.
- Have experience interviewing people or facilitating group discussions with people who speak English as a second language.
- Have experience or interest in inclusive user research and usability testing of digital products.
Experience Design Director
Full-time, salaried, exempt
If you see yourself in this role, please submit your resume and a cover letter expressing your interest via our online applicant portal at https://hminnovations.org/hmi/about/careers
Equity and inclusion are integral to achieving the vision of the Healthy Minds Innovations (HMI). We seek candidates with an awareness of and commitment to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion across all spectrums. HMI is committed to continuously increasing the cultural competence of its leadership and staff through organization-wide forums and professional development opportunities.