With a focus on Mobility, Operational Excellence, Value to our Customers and the Electrification of vehicles, you can expect to be part of something exciting. From the sleek design of our vehicles to the unique opportunities we offer around the globe, Nissan exemplifies ingenuity in everything we do. Our people are what drive the business forward.
We’re currently looking for an Interaction Design Researcher to join our team in Silicon Valley, CA.
As an Interaction Design Researcher, you will have the unique opportunity to support work ranging from cutting-edge research on topics initiated and driven by our team, to fulfilling specific job requests coming from other groups in the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance. As a Research/Innovation function, our work is positioned upstream in the development process rather than with end products.
Job functions include but are not limited to:
- The Interaction Design Researcher will play a hands-on role in the development and evaluation of human-machine and human-computer interactions. The interaction modality could include voice, embedded and ubiquitous systems, and gesture, visual or text-based systems.
- The Interaction Design Researcher will work across all stages of a project, including gathering requirements; designing and performing research; analyzing and synthesizing data; developing concepts; prototyping, testing and evolving concepts; and communicating results. They will do work that ranges from both robust scientific inquiry to agile innovation, collaborating with social scientists, as well as designers, scientists and engineers in such fields as robotics, artificial intelligence, automotive design, and open innovation.
- An important part of the work will include preparing for and delivering demos and presentations for internal and external audiences. The Interaction Design Researcher will also produce IP and publications and maintain participation and visibility in relevant professional communities.
- Masters or above in HCI/HMI/HRI/informatics; anthropology/ sociology/ science and technology studies or social psychology; human factors; or related fields; PhD desirable; prior experience in mobility or automotive HMIs, including materials, lighting, sound and display.
- Two years or more experience in applied research settings; proven understanding of interaction design principles and evaluation frameworks, and facility in accessing the latest in interaction design best practices, evaluation methods, trends, etc.; prior research on interactions with technology from a social, cultural, or social psychological perspective; experience with developing products and services in major non-Western automotive markets, such as China or Japan.
- Experience in UX methods or tools such as storyboarding, wireframes, prototype development and testing; Portfolio or samples of work that demonstrate thought process and execution; experience with physical prototyping.
- Experience in ethnographic research and analysis; strong communication skills; strong analytical, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills; ability to translate between research findings and computational or algorithmic development and modeling.
- Familiarity with AI methods and concepts (eg. machine learning, modeling techniques, algorithm development); some experience with one or more programming languages (eg. Java, Python; Perl).
Welcome to an open lane of possibility. Drive your career forward and join the company leading the technology and business evolution of the automotive industry by applying today.
Nissan is committed to a drug-free workplace. All employment is contingent upon successful completion of a drug screen for roles based in the United States and background screening for all positions.
All of us at Nissan – regardless of functional area or expertise – share a passion to design, manufacture, and sell high-performance vehicles. It is Nissan’s policy to provide Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, gender, military status, disability, or any other status protected by law. Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work in the United States and will be required to provide proof of employment eligibility at the time of hire; Nissan uses E-Verify to validate employment eligibility. **Visa sponsorship for this position is not available at this time. **