Experience Design (XD) Research @ Autodesk
The Experience Design (XD) Research team provides design leadership and excellence across all product lines within the Design and Creation division at Autodesk. Key disciplines include interaction design and architecture, visual design, user research, analytics, content experience and design operations. Together, we support DCP’s businesses, and share a common goal of customer-centricity, connected experiences across our products, and high quality of work product and employee talent.
The Senior Experience Researcher at Autodesk is a relentless customer advocate, possesses a passion for human-centered design, and has a track record of executing highly impactful research with cross-functional teams. Our Senior Experience Researchers leverage a wide variety of research methods and work in lockstep with their product teams to envision, validate, and ship high-quality experiences our customers will love.
Reporting to the Design and Creation Products Research Manager, the Senior Experience Researcher will work on initiatives to create cohesive and scalable customer experiences for the architecture, engineering & construction collection of products including the modelling application AutoCAD. The role will require top-notch research skills, along with a strategic mindset and the ability to collaborate with different product teams. This position is in San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Proactively planning and executing customer research throughout the design and development lifecycle, from early strategic direction through post-release validation
- Employing a wide range of research methods, including generative design research and contextual inquiry, participatory design workshops, interviews, formative and summative usability studies, and quantitative methods, such as surveys and data analytics
- Developing relationships across the company to collect existing research and insights to inform your research questions and collaborate on end-to-end research that looks across the customer journey
- Leading empathy and design-thinking workshops with cross-functional teams to ensure that findings and insights are translated into actionable product goals and direction
- Sharing customer insights with the broader organization in creative ways to increase customer empathy, including posters, immersion rooms, blog posts, and workshops
- Coaching and mentoring others in the research community at Autodesk, and evangelizing research as a strategic driver for our products and services
- 5+ years of professional research experience
- Strong track record of using qualitative and quantitative methods to develop actionable insight that impact product strategy and development
- Up-to-date toolkit of research methods, and the experience and savvy to know when to be lean and scrappy and when to be rigorous
- Ability to collaborate with a wide set of stakeholders including designers, product managers, and software developers
- Ability to execute in a fast-paced, agile environment
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to distill complex ideas to their essence
- Knowledge of the architectural, construction & engineering industry and experience working with related products and services
- Bachelor’s degree in cognitive or experimental psychology, human computer interaction, human factors, or related field; MS/PhD preferred
- Experience researching multichannel experiences
- Familiarity with Lean UX and Lean Research methodologies
- Experience with agile software development
- Experience with Autodesk products
Top Five Signs You’re a Great Fit
- You have an inquisitive mind and empathy for customers
- You’re a collaborator and enjoy bringing your team along with you
- You’re a pattern finder and holistic thinker
- You’re an excellent communicator
- You don’t fear complexity
With Autodesk software, you have the power to Make Anything. The future of making is here, bringing with it radical changes in the way things are designed, made, and used. It’s disrupting every industry: architecture, engineering, and construction; manufacturing; and media and entertainment. With the right knowledge and tools, this disruption is your opportunity. Our software is used by everyone - from design professionals, engineers and architects to digital artists, students and hobbyists. We constantly explore new ways to integrate all dimensions of diversity across our employees, customers, partners, and communities. Our ultimate goal is to expand opportunities for anyone to imagine, design, and make a better world.