The Innovation Insights team is a critical group within User Centered Design (UCD) at Bose. We focus on the fuzzy front end of innovation, inspiring new products and experiences through a deep understanding of human needs, attitudes, and behaviors. We are looking for a senior researcher to join our team and help drive continued innovation at Bose.
This individual will manage research programs exploring a variety of new opportunity spaces for Bose (most will be 3-5 years out). The techniques used will be heavily qualitative, but the individual will also need familiarity with quantitative research and syndicated data.
We are looking for a high-energy individual who works equally well with research colleagues, designers, engineers, product managers, and executives. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience conducting research that guides front-end innovation in a business environment.
- Design, conduct and synthesize research to identify new product and experience opportunities for Bose. This will include developing a deep understanding of consumer needs, attitudes, and behaviors.
- Work closely with business, technology, and design experts to understand business and technical concerns, constraints and opportunities.
- Conduct research using a wide range of qualitative and ethnographic techniques, including in-depth interviews, in-situ observation, small group discussions, and online journaling.
- Lead all phases of a research project independently — including assessing needs, designing research, conducting research, developing insights, and creating reports and presentations
- Leverage proven frameworks for analyzing this research and developing actionable recommendations.
- Facilitate workshops, ideation sessions, and design sprints to help translate insights about human needs into product or experience ideas.
- Help drive a culture of human-centered design across the entire organization.
- Help drive a culture of learning and continuous improvement by seeking out new techniques, methodologies, and frameworks, and by following blogs, publications, and thought leaders in the space.
- Mentor, guide, and train junior researchers.
Requirements & Experience
- 8+ years of experience as a user researcher or consumer researcher. Client-side, consumer products experience is highly desired. Consumer-electronics experience is particularly beneficial.
- Specific experience with research at the fuzzy front-end of product development – uncovering unmet needs, developing personas, identifying friction points, and working with rough concepts rather than fleshed-out products.
- Strategic, big-picture perspective.
- Experience with a wide variety of qualitative research techniques including in-depth interviews, in-situ observation, small group discussions, and online journaling.
- History of experimenting with new techniques, frameworks, tools at every opportunity to constantly push forward your command of the discipline.
- Champion of design thinking and design research.
- Natural curiosity about trends, cultural phenomena, and human behavior.
- Ability and experience acting as a thought leader with business partners (re-framing questions, identifying opportunities, prioritizing).
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology, or HCI/Human Factors. Master’s degree highly desired. Some background in quantitative methods, or experience collaborating with quantitative researchers, is desirable as well.
- Occasional travel (10-25%).
Bose is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. For additional information, please review: (1) the EEO is the Law Poster (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf); and (2) its Supplements (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm). Please note, the company's pay transparency is available at http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf. Bose is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application or employment process, please send an e-mail to Wellbeing@bose.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.