- With your consent, EPIC collects and uses data that you provide to communicate with you and give you access to content, events, and resources.
- We prioritize your privacy and do not sell, trade, or share your data for any other purpose without obtaining your prior and explicit consent.
- We do not publish advertisements or paid product or service endorsements.
EPIC complies with the General Data Protection Regulation. We recognize the following rights of every individual interacting with our organization:
- The right to be forgotten.
- The right to object.
- The right to rectification.
- The right to portability.
EPIC offers no guarantees about the content, reliability, or security of this site, which you use at your own risk.
If you have any questions, feedback, or difficulty accessing or managing your data, please contact us: email@example.com.
When We Collect Data, What We Do with It, and Why
When You Create an Account on Epicpeople.org
If you opt in to our email communications, we will use MailChimp (legal policies here) to process your data for the purpose of sending you email. To ensure receipt of our emails, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts.
When You Become an EPIC Member
When You Register for an EPIC Event
- Additional data sharing: The name, role/job title, and organization provided when purchasing your EPIC membership or updating your member profile prior to conference registration will be printed on your conference badge. This badge data, but no other EPIC profile data, will be shared with other conference attendees. We will share your badge data and email address with conference staff and volunteers when it is essential for your participation in the conference programming for which you have registered (eg, so the leader of a workshop in which you are participating can send you information and materials about the session).
- Audio/video recording: Conference presentations are video recorded and members of the audience may occasionally be captured in this footage. Presenters sign separate media agreements to authorize this recording. EPIC Members have access to the video archive on epicpeople.org. If you have concerns about being captured in conference video, please contact us: email@example.com.
- Data collection & processing: EPIC uses some or all of the following third-party platforms to deliver courses:
- Zoom (legal policies here) to host live course sessions.
- Additional data sharing: During course registration, you will have the opportunity to share professional information with the course instructors and other course participants.
- Audio/video recording: Course sessions hosted on Zoom are recorded, uploaded to EPIC’s Vimeo account, and shared with course participants only in a password-protected space. If you have concerns about being captured on video, please contact us so we can ensure that we protect your privacy: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Additional data sharing: When you register for talks and other events through Zoom, you will have the opportunity to provide your name, title, and affiliation. We may share your name, title, and affiliation, but not your email address, with hosts and/or presenters, but not other participants. When you register for talks and other events using Aluminati Network Group Ltd., you will have the opportunity to display your member profile in the list of attendees, visible to other EPIC members only. We may also share your name, title, and affiliation, but not your email address, with hosts and/or presenters.
- Audio/video recording: EPIC records talks using Zoom. Most recordings are available to EPIC Members in our library. If you have concerns about being captured on video please contact us: email@example.com.
Managing Your Data
If you have any difficulty accessing, changing, or removing your data, contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Account and Profile Data
You can change and update your account and profile data, including recurring payment information, on epicpeople.org at any time by logging in and clicking My Account in the top right corner of the screen.
You can opt out of receiving email subscriptions at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email.
Data Processing Partners
Contact us to request your data stored in our accounts on third party platforms: email@example.com. We cannot access accounts that you may have created on these platforms. Please keep in mind that if you delete or remove essential information from these accounts, you may be removed from an event, program, or service you have registered for, including non-EPIC events, programs, or services that may be connected to your account.
Conference Proceedings & Perspectives Articles
Depending on the year and context of publication, copyright to articles originally published in Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference Proceedings is held by the author(s), EPIC, and/or The American Anthropological Association. Copyright to perspectives articles is held by the authors. Individuals may freely download and share these articles for personal and professional purposes, including for use in courses, trainings, etc., in their original format and with full citation, but may not republish. For details and permission requests, contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Conference authors and presenters sign specific agreements concerning written and multimedia material. If you are an author/presenter, contact us for more information: email@example.com.
All Other Content
Unless otherwise specified, you retain all ownership rights to other content you publish on epicpeople.org and community.epicpeople.org, such as comments, job board listings, and business directory profiles. Except for its ownership of the collection of all content, EPIC does not claim ownership of any content you publish on epicpeople.org or community.epicpeople.org. By publishing content on epicpeople.org or community.epicpeople.org you grant EPIC, including and without limitation EPIC’s co-branded, content, and syndication partners, a continuing and perpetual worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, and irrevocable license to reproduce, modify, distribute, transmit, publicly perform, and publicly display the content for purposes including:
- Displaying, distributing, promoting, and generally operating epicpeople.org or community.epicpeople.org.
- Promoting and marketing EPIC’s products, programs, and services and those of EPIC’s partners and affiliates.
- Promoting and marketing products, programs, and services related to your content.
- Creating, promoting, and marketing new EPIC products, programs, and services, or licensing others to do so.
Some content posted to public areas of epicpeople.org or community.epicpeople.org may be retained and displayed indefinitely. Deleting specific information in your EPIC profile, or deleting your account entirely, will completely remove it from epicpeople.org and community.epicpeople.org. When your account is shut down or your membership terminated, EPIC may retain a copy of your information (including browser information) for archival purposes. Archival copies are maintained solely so that we may recover content and restore accounts in case of errors or system failure per legal requirements. Search engines can and do index our pages. We cannot remove posts from people’s private email inboxes or from public search indexes.
Profanity & Harassment
We expect professional courtesy from everyone who engages with our site and community platform. Please refrain from using profanity. Our administrators do not tolerate any sort of harassment of members. Flaming, name-calling, insults, taunts, or other behaviors that inhibit the free expression of thought on epicpeople.org or community.epicpeople.org are cause for the offending user being removed from the organization.
Plurality of Voices
This website and community platform exist so members of the ethnographic community can easily communicate with one another. Excessive posting by any one subscriber tends to inhibit others’ participation in the discussion, and it becomes difficult to maintain a plurality of voices. If an individual subscriber consistently makes excessive comments, the administrator will warn that subscriber. If this pattern of behavior continues, the list administrator may remove that subscriber and/or subscriber’s comments.
Staying on Topic
EPIC sponsors this website and community platform to provide a forum for the discussion of ethnographic praxis issues, best practices, and methods among practitioners, teachers, and students of ethnographic research and others who are interested in ethnographic theory and practice. All posting and comments on this website and community platform must relate to ethnographic praxis. While discussions may encompass subjects from a range of research, business, design, computer science, and many other fields as they relate to ethnographic theory and practice, please keep the primary focus of your topics of discussion on ethnographic praxis.
Advertisements for Products or Services
Products, programs, and services may be discussed, recommended, or evaluated in a substantive manner. Advertisements or promotions without a sufficient, substantive contribution, or that are overly promotional in tone, may be removed at the discretion of the administrators.
Epicpeople.org uses DreamPress managed WordPress hosting, powered by DreamHost and has implemented security best practices on our web properties including, but not limited to:
- Passwords are hashed in WordPress and on the web server.
- The website uses an SSL certificate from Let’s Encrypt to ensure a secure connection.
- Credit card details are not transferred by or stored on the server.
- WordPress and all theme and plugin security patches are applied, ensuring the most up-to-date platform at all times.
The information on this website and our community platform is provided by EPIC as a service to its subscribers and the public. It is provided on an “as is” basis and all statements and representations (other than fraudulent misrepresentation), warranties, terms, and limitations, including any implied by statute, consumer law or otherwise, are hereby excluded to the maximum extent permissible by law. We are not obliged to update this website or our community platform, but we may do so from time to time and we reserve the right to modify, restrict access to, or close this website or our community platform at any time.